PDA

View Full Version : hitting hard (my first thread horray)

blueturnswhite
07-16-2004, 07:42 PM
Ok first of all i love this board...you guys are great...now to the task at hand...i hit really hard..but i cant get speed going with my kicks that hard...i dont see many really fast drummers who hit hard...have i found my problem...and i wish i could play doubles with my left foot (blah might as well cut it off) but righty can do about 200....should i tone it down, cause its damn hard to compete with a double and a triple rectifier, but cymbals get expensive really quick...sorry if i sound stupid...i am not i promise...thanks
Phil

iwishiwasbetter
07-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Hey man, I had the same problem because I hit really hard as well (probably moreso than I should) but I find with fast double bass the more comfortable with the speed eventually you will start building power, just like singles with the hands. One exercise I like to do is to play along with dog boots off of the live from oz cd(except I play it straight singles not doubles because Virgil is a madman and should be slapped for how much better he is than me, j/k don't hate me Virgil board). It's incredible for endurance and power. Also excercise helps too, such as jogging, but if thats not your thing just try digging in and building up that power. Hope this helps!

Lucius
07-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Is it when your kick drums arnt miked up that your having trouble keeping volume with a double and triple rectifier?

blueturnswhite
07-16-2004, 10:59 PM
i started micing it (by the way the beta 52a is the shit)....it helps...and i am not just talking about my feet, i break cymbals, snare rims, blah blah....i just wonder if i need to settle down to get more speed....i know start out slow, but does that men start out slow and soft, or slow and hard...i am a self taught drummer, but, i have good technique (so i am told by teachers i know)...i am just wondering if everyone goes through gear as quick as i do....i am really talking to you metal and hardcore guys (i love all music, but i play in a metal-hardcore band)......oh by the way, Virgil is god...oh and i jump rope, I played basketball as a kid, that gave me a good vertical (i am a 6'2" white guy that can dunk)....I figured that would be the best exercise for me, due to the muscles it uses....thanks all

Johnny
07-17-2004, 07:05 AM
It's silly how loud bands rehearse. Know why guys crank their amps that loud? So they only hear themselves. Try this: play an entire song riding on something you usually don't. then ask the guitarist what you played.

It's possible to play really hard without destroying your gear. But, if you're destroying rims, you're either hitting too hard or your technique needs drastic improvement. Check out Jim Chapin's video on the Moeller method. You'll learn to hit hard correctly...and your speed and endurance will increase dramatically.

Leg power? Stairmaster. Really.

Lad.
07-17-2004, 09:19 AM
Holy crap. Destroying rims? Geez...Hulk seem angry...grrrr.

iwishiwasbetter
07-17-2004, 09:43 AM
wow, I've never broken a rim but I have destroyed cymbals, bass drum beaters, countless sticks (who hasn't), the connecting piece of pedal to floor piece, cymbal stands and tons of other stuff so yeah I guess I have the same power issues but I've always hit that way because it's just more comfortable for me and speed usually starts soft for me but becomes louder with the more practice and endurance I aquire with the speed (hands and feet). So just work at it and push yourself

blueturnswhite
07-17-2004, 11:43 AM
thats not really the reason johnny...the reason is, have you ever heard a tube amp barly turned up?...it sounds like garbage...that and guitar players are insecure about penis size.....hahahahahahah.....anyway thanks guys...

It's silly how loud bands rehearse. Know why guys crank their amps that loud? So they only hear themselves. Try this: play an entire song riding on something you usually don't. then ask the guitarist what you played.

It's possible to play really hard without destroying your gear. But, if you're destroying rims, you're either hitting too hard or your technique needs drastic improvement. Check out Jim Chapin's video on the Moeller method. You'll learn to hit hard correctly...and your speed and endurance will increase dramatically.

Leg power? Stairmaster. Really.

Lad.
07-17-2004, 12:29 PM
My sticks mostly get destroyed because of rimshots and the occasional cymbal side hit on accident. Other than that, my guitarist likes me to hit the hats hard in some songs. I don't think I will ever break a rim, however. *knocks on wood*

blueturnswhite
07-17-2004, 01:15 PM
suprisingly, i dont go through sticks that often for someone that plays all rimshot (well for the most part)....and if i used die cast rims i know i wouldnt break them...just cant muster up that much dough for rims....If i start a set (30-45 min) with a new pair of good sticks, i wont break one...i have never broken a stick on stage yet....have broke snare head, snare wire, cymbal...i think thats it....i am rambling sorry

My sticks mostly get destroyed because of rimshots and the occasional cymbal side hit on accident. Other than that, my guitarist likes me to hit the hats hard in some songs. I don't think I will ever break a rim, however. *knocks on wood*

D.W.A.
07-21-2004, 09:43 PM
wow, I've never broken a rim but I have destroyed cymbals, bass drum beaters, countless sticks (who hasn't), the connecting piece of pedal to floor piece, cymbal stands and tons of other stuff so yeah I guess I have the same power issues but I've always hit that way because it's just more comfortable for me and speed usually starts soft for me but becomes louder with the more practice and endurance I aquire with the speed (hands and feet). So just work at it and push yourself
ive never busted a head in 16 yrs............dented a few. its all wrists and finger squeeze for me