PDA

View Full Version : Alien Hip-Hop Frustration!!!

iwishiwasbetter
07-14-2004, 02:38 PM
I have been beating my head into a wall trying to find a tab for that song (don't own or know where to find the album to listen to it) and I really love that beat in it, please someone help me!!!

iwishiwasbetter
07-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Thanks man, I'll get on that

morgenthaler
07-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Hey iwishiwasbetter (I do too!)

You can get the album (Serious Young Insects) right here: www.audiophileimports.com

I've even checked,- it IS on stock!
Just search for Virgil Donati and you'll get 21 hits or so.
Good luck.

Regards,

jimi
07-15-2004, 11:17 AM
http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=846&highlight=alien

I just figured out the groove, it's not going to be note for not solos or anything!! There's another groove if you want that too (from the final part of the song).

pfeff
07-15-2004, 03:29 PM
I just wrote a 3 page long reply to this post but some how it disappeared when I was writing it. I went into some depth about the groove and linked to my site www.drumsolo.co.uk where I've put a midi file of the song that I did a few years ago.

It's late now and I'm tired so I'm not going to retype it all. I've only just put the HTML version of my site online so half the links don't work yet. I've put the MIDI file in the 'vault'. Listening to it now there are no hi-hats. I'm pretty sure I put them in but I was using soundfonts at the time. I don't have cubase on this PC - but I think if you stick it in cubase you'll find the hi hat part somewhere (or muted).

The basic idea behind the groove is a 3 over 4 polyrhythm. The kick pattern can be thought of as 1 bar of 4/4 16ths. In which case the hi hat would play every 3rd note and the snare would play on third beat of every 4 hi-hats. The pattern repeats after 3 lots of the kick pattern, or 4 lots of the hand pattern.

The kick is played with alternating strokes. If you work it out you'll find that the lead foot swaps each time round the pattern. As the feet and hands line up after 3 lots of the foot pattern you find that you then have to play the whole thing leading with the opposite foot. So you only play the same exact pattern every 6 bars of 4/4.

For the end groove think in groups of notes on the kick. Say you're in 12/8 playing a straight groove with the hands, the grouping for the feet is:-

interpretted as
4+r,4+r,3+r,3+r,5+r,4+rr,3+r,2+r,5+rrr,3
(where r is a single rest)

The last couple of times round the snare fills pretty much all the gaps. The feet are alternating again, so the pattern would be...

R L R L S R L R L S R L | R S L R L S R L R L R S |
L R L R S S L R L S R L | S R L R L R _ S S L R L :||

It's pretty straight forward from there on in. There are no solos (but there are some ridiculously hard supposedly improvised snare additions at the start - considering you have to keep the feet playing the same pattern).

Hope you enjoy it. I'll be uploading all the transcriptions I've done over time. They're all messy as they were just for myself (I only transcribe things I think are cool so expect some nice stuff). If anyone decides to write out neater versions or put them into cubase or score writer, I'd appreciate a neat copy.

Later,

Joe
www.drumsolo.co.uk (go to the vault)

jimi
07-16-2004, 02:49 AM
Aint that some shit!!! Joe firstly your site has some great stuff, i'll download it all :) But the midi of Alien Hip Hop rendition was great too, does it take you long to get these things transcribed? Must look into getting one of the programs you mentioned ...

pfeff
07-16-2004, 07:11 AM
Once again I just typed a 3 page reply and it didn't submit. Glad you like the site. It's actually down at the moment, but can be accessed here http://www.drumsolo.mhindleuk.com/index.htm - I'm working on it now and the navigation and missing pages should be up by the end of tonight. Might also put a forum on - though I imagine it'll remain pretty vacant ;)

Took an evening or so to do the midi file, but I'd worked out the groove about a year earlier on the back of a napkin. It was only when I transcribed the end of it that I realised it was possible to play (originally I thought he was just catching the keyboard stabs - once written out I realised they were in the gaps of the kick pattern).

Got a midi version of I'm Tweaked that I did a couple of years back including the solo. Noticed the other day that I've dropped a 16th somewhere so the half the solo is out. I'll correct that next week and upload it (think you'll like it - that one took me ages).

jimi
07-16-2004, 09:42 AM
You've got a good ear, many drummers miss out on this from not playing a "melodic" instrument like guitar, piano etc. I transcribed part of Apocalypse and Pentathlon if you're interested. You can find links to them on this board i think, try searching posts by me with those keywords.

pfeff
07-16-2004, 10:04 AM
Cool, I'll have a look. I figured out the middle of Apocolypse then spotted it on this website - though he doesn't show the very end of the section which I think is the coolest bit. Pentathlon I've never got round to so I'll check that out. He's into odd groupings of snare followed by kicks. I also wrote out Ground Zero. There's a ridiculously hard thing in there - very Marco Minnemann - playing 5s with your RF and RH against a paradiddle with your LH and LF. He absolutely nails it. I was intending to do a midi track for that so I could play along. Maybe one day!

Another really cool thing I saw him do in a solo at the baked potato was 5s with his LH and LF against 3s (RH, RF, RF) round the toms. Sounds wicked.

iwishiwasbetter
07-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks so much guys, these are a great help. Now I can go bandage my head and hope for no brain damage!