PDA

View Full Version : Nearfest pictures...

Christopher
07-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Thank you to all the photographers who e-mailed in to send over their pics from Nearfest 2004. They are all amazing shots overall. Both Planet X and Virgil's site have been updated.

Here are the links:

http://www.virgildonati.com/gallery/recent/index.php?imgdir=Planet%20X%20at%20Nearfest%202004

http://www.xplanetx.com/multimedia-gallery.html

Enjoy!

StevieD
07-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Nearfest was kinda odd, Planet X ruled the fest, Was very surprized to see Portnoy intruduce them, very cool. I thought TJ did a good job, Must have been a bad night in LA? I was up in the balcony, and it wasnt as loud as the other times I have seen them in small clubs, But It was great to see them, and all the lights and smoke added to the show.

kirk
07-14-2004, 12:35 AM
It is hysterical to read some of the posts at the Nearfest board. Obviously alot of guy's do not listen to prog-fusion. I think Planet X was way over the heads of many who saw them. Comments like, "They were to flashy or showy"
too many chops, too loud, Virgil Donati was too over the top, to complex, to showy, the arrangements were to this or that blah blah blah. And than they listen to bands that are CRAP technically and creatively compared to Planet X and it is oh we LOVED them. Hey guy's WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!! and get a clue!!!

Adam
07-14-2004, 01:07 AM
and you just KNOW he's doing something that is making everyone in the audience cry

morgenthaler
07-14-2004, 05:30 AM
Man I almost laughed when I read that.
"Too flashy, too technical," even "too fast"... bah!
If you can't comprehend it,- study it!

mauricio
07-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Hy Chris....Can we get any info on the set lists for all the "new band" shows?

mauricio
07-14-2004, 06:26 PM
From the Nearfest boards:

"Planet X": Awesome music abilities but did not live up to the hype. Was this the same guitarist as was on the Nearfest samples of the band? Don't remember the guitarist on the sample piece sounding so Holldsworth like. Again another band with sound problems. The keyboard player kept telling the sound guy to turn him up. How about turning down the guitar. It was way too loud. Overall a very muddy sound lacking in any range of dynamics.

-------The drummer was talented but I think he still has a way to go to be considered a virtuoso. During the solo I couldn't help feeling that he was always on the edge of losing it. I guess you can consider that a good thing, but I didn't feel he was totaly in command like a Bruford or Christian Vander.---------

Funny stuff.

Christopher
07-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Hy Chris....Can we get any info on the set lists for all the "new band" shows?

This is what I got from the PX msgboard from someone who went to the Palatine gig. Im guessing the setlist remained the same.

Moonbabies
Ataraxia
Europa
Warfinger
Interlude in Milan
Dog Boots
Apocalypse 1470 BC
Drum Solo
Sea of Antiquity
- Encore: Ignotus per Ignotium

kirk
07-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Yeah Mauricio your right good stuff if you are a stand up comic. Virg has more command in his pinky than Bruford and Vander have in their collective 8 limbs. Maybe an exageration, and I am a big Bruford fan to boot, but good grief are some people that dense.

Kirk

C.J.
07-15-2004, 04:31 AM
What the hell !?!? Virgil on the edge ? Way to go to be considered a virtuoso !?!?
...................... *silence*

MaltBuddow3
07-15-2004, 05:48 AM
lars ulrich

Wojtek
07-15-2004, 02:31 PM
hey guys!! I noticed one thing on the photos. Maybe I'm wrong...
I know it doesn't matters, but... Just look!
At the nearfest Virgil uses Pearl exports !? !?
This green drums look like Pearl ELX!!! WOW
Always masters, sometimes even masterworks, but this time
exports, cool!! I have exports too... he he

BTW- I've seen two weeks ago 2 concerts(solo)
& 2 clinics of Virgil in poland and now I
would like to see Virgil live with a band. It's my dream;-)
P.s- 2 days ago I've seen G3 with Tony Mac. He's awesome!
And i wish he come back one day to Planet X.
Cheers! (sorry for my english, but i'm tired :-} )

peter
07-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Awesome photos, Chiristopher! :D

StevieD
07-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Thanks!! I was there, It ruled, I have some video, not sure what is allowed,
Christopher?? email me if ya like stevied301@yahoo.com

Colin Fraser
07-20-2004, 02:57 AM
I was watching Virgil from the side of the stage and was completely blown away by his performance. I played with a band called Pallas from Aberdeen in Scotland and played at Nearfest the day before and it was a pleasure to meet him. He seemed a really nice guy too.If anyone is interested, I have a photo of Virgil and myself as he came off stage. As for the comment that he seemed out of control, whoever made that comment obviously has no idea about drumming. Virgil was FRIGHTENINGLY in control.

Nice one!

C.J.
07-20-2004, 06:27 AM
I would be interested in that photo !

maggimus
08-14-2004, 06:54 AM
"Virg has A WAY TO GO TO BE CONSIDERED A VIRTUOSO"...WHAT!?? ...What's wrong with people?? The person who wrote this needs to see a doctor!! .. hahahahaha...jeez!!