PDA

View Full Version : traditional grip doubles

timthedrummer
06-22-2004, 01:08 AM
hey im just wondering if u guys could describe your technique for double strokes with traditional grip- i am fairly new to the grip, and i use the gladstone technique for matched- where the second stroke is a finger snap. traditional i use a similiar technique
just curious to see how u guys do ur doubles with traditional

Adam
06-24-2004, 06:48 PM
I guess I'm kind of like Lang in this sense, but I'm kind of obsessed with control. For me it's just a matter of muscling it out...to a point. Sometimes I try and accent the second strokes when I'm practicing on a pad to make sure I don't bounce...but yeah, the simplest way I can explain it is...hit the drum with your left hand....now hit it again. haha. Usually I use all wrist untill I reach the point where I'm not fast enough, and then I bounce the stick...but like I said I try as hard as possible to have each stroke the same level of everything...sorry for rambling hehe

timthedrummer
06-25-2004, 02:12 AM
thanks alot more that reply adam
i have been patiently waiting for at least one person to reply.
yeh i think i want to base my technique of langs- lots of control.
cheers bro

Adam
06-25-2004, 06:37 AM
Hey no problem. I checked out your web site too! I haven't heard you drum yet, but you know it's funny...I can usually tell how good a drummer is by how comfortable they look behind a kit, and you look very relaxed~!

Lucius
06-25-2004, 08:31 AM
Mr Tim, Havn't spoken in a while! (Im good at disspearing on msn) For me these days Im focusing on motion, I got a a bit over trying to develop hardcore into the drum ones, I want doubles like Weckl's smooooooooth, so what ive been doing is experimenting with different motions of my hands, the most comfortable one now is just your basic throw with wrist or thumb, then close with finger, I still try to devlop 2 wrist doubles, but not that much, for me, I prefer the feel of rebound, so I try to bounce as much as possible! Thats the headspace Im in at the moment, it just never felt good before, now it kinda does...!

timthedrummer
06-26-2004, 05:55 AM
shucks adam those are kind words.
i find myself very relaxed on the drums these days, performing aint a problem to more cuz i've done alot of work with technique (and obviously not on my trad grip doubles hehe)
hey luke man u always disapear on msn - respect for that actually cuz msn wastes SOOOO much time.
i like ur approach too, u still getting lessons from pete every week?

Lucius
06-26-2004, 06:24 AM
Man, the thing wastes too much time, way too much. Yep, I certainly am, he's a legend!

Lad.
06-27-2004, 05:16 PM
There really is no better way to explain double strokes in trad grip than what Adam did.
I was unsure that there was a technique, other than to just hit the drum twice with each hand. That's what I does.