PDA

View Full Version : E.M.A.D vs SUPERKICK

Lad.
06-09-2004, 09:54 PM
I was just wondering...I was looking in my interstate drum catalog today since I broke my remo bass head, and I was checking out the bass heads.

First, I looked at Superkick by Aquarian since you guys told me it was just so kick-ass, and I looked at the price, and decided to check out E.M.A.D by Evans.

Evans' E.M.A.D is priced lower than Superkick. They're the same concept, but why is E.M.A.D so much cheaper than Superkick? I'm more than likely going for the E.M.A.D for the price, so does anyone have any bad experience stories with their E.M.A.D drumhead that they'd like to share?

Also, something else to ask.
Since there is no pillow/blanket/giant teddy bear ( whatever you muffle your drum with ) needed with a pre-muffled head, how am I to muffle the resonant head? Does it need to be muffled? Any crazy McGuyver method will do. Any conventional method will do. Anything to get the resonant head from making any overtones. Thank ya.

Lucius
06-10-2004, 04:22 AM
I love E.M.A.D's!

Lad.
06-10-2004, 11:15 AM
I guess that means that I should get E.M.A.D then huh?
Any more input on the decision?

Lad.
06-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Maybe I can use one of the extra tone foams from the E.M.A.D package to muffle the front head.

Lad.
06-10-2004, 07:16 PM
You are pretty badass my friend. You have the cross cymbal hits down. I praised you when I saw that. Keep up the good work.

Lad.
06-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Whoops...that last message was meant for that one guy's solo thread. Christopher, could you move that for me? It just doesn't belong here.

morgenthaler
06-11-2004, 06:58 AM
My best (bassdrumhead) experiences have been with powerstroke 3 from REMO. They seem to hit just what I want in a bassdrumhead. I prefer the coated, but the clear is good as well. I find them to last MUCH longer than say, EVANS does. (than any head to be honest)
I muffl both heads (my front head is a coated ambassador) with just a little piece of foamrubber that touches both heads across the bottom of my bassdrum.

That works so well for me.

Christ Magnum
06-11-2004, 07:10 AM
I'm currently using an Evans EQ3 batter head. I love it. But I have used EMADs in the past, if you're playing them un-miked, then the muffling is a biiiit too much for my tastes, I don't have anything inside my kick drum to muffle it and it still sounds great, but that was my only complaint against the EMAD, when miked they sound awesome with the muffling rings. They're also nice if you're feeling really lazy before a gig, because you barely have to tune them :P. The EQ3 and the Remo Powerstroke are definitely winners though.

timthedrummer
06-11-2004, 07:27 AM
i use glad wrap on the hitting side of my bass drum
sounds better than anything remo or evans could dish out

Lad.
06-11-2004, 01:06 PM
@ Tim - Glad wrap? Explain to me more in depth about how this works!

@ Magnum - I'd prefer good sound with mics because I'm going to the studio this summer ( I'm pretty sure ), and I want my bass to sound as awesome as possible.
We have one song that is steady double bass all the way through, and that needs to be a priority for that song.

Christ Magnum
06-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Well then Lad, I'd HIGHLY recommend an EMAD batter head, for lots of double kick I like to use the larger of the 2 dampening rings, gives it a nice clicky attack with plenty of bottom end.

chrisdrummer75
06-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Whats up Lad. I've never used either E.M.A.D. or superkick, but i do use an evans eq4 and it sounds really big and really deep. I love it. I have also used remo powerstroke heads and yes they will outlast most others but in my opinion i think evans sounds better. If you have a lot of double bass in your drumming the eq4 could be something to check out. Hope this helps.

Lad.
06-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the words, Chris.

I do have a new problem on my hands though...and I'm about to make a new thread about it.
It concerns my Pearl Eliminator pedals that I got not too long ago.
You'll see that soon.