PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Match change off

Lowlife_Drummer
06-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Ok dudes im new here and I have a grip question im assuming im in the right section sorry if not...Anyway at school I play snare and I use traditional grip at home and with my band I use match because I for some reason am not in the least comfortable with traditional same goes with match on just snare. Is this a problem that I use both? :confused:

Shane G
06-11-2004, 09:33 AM
Ok dudes im new here and I have a grip question im assuming im in the right section sorry if not...Anyway at school I play snare and I use traditional grip at home and with my band I use match because I for some reason am not in the least comfortable with traditional same goes with match on just snare. Is this a problem that I use both? :confused:
Is it a problem? No. Neither grip should be a problem. However...There is no advantage/disadvantage to either grip, stroke-wise. Your result is whats important. How you get it is irrelevant.

Look...traditional grip was invented because at that time (Civil War era) the only way to play drums was on a sling on the soldiers left. So they devised a grip that allowed the left hand to strike the drum w/o having to bend the wrist. Which was genius. However...in 2004...we have many, many ways of mounting the snare drum, most of which is horizontal in front of the player. It seems silly to me to play tradtional when your drum is flat. But lots of popular, professional players do just that. So grip is what you make it.

My answer? Matched, always. Matched for timpani, mallets, and drumset/snare drum. Unless of course...your drum is on a sling to your left.

Adam
06-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Actually traditional grip was invented in switzerland hundreds of years ago (If I'm not mistaken), way before the civil war. I use ONLY traditional now, it's just a visual bit of showmanship that I've included in my playing because I got bored of matched grip...but that's really the only thing I can say about it. Matched is a more convenient grip...

A lot of guys say traditional feels better for snare drum playing, but I believe that's a mental thing. There's no real advantage I can think of to using it..down the road though you can do anything with either grip, but to answer your question:

No it's not bad to use both. The only downside is learning everything twice, and a lot of guys who do that eventually develope weird habbits with matched (they start moving circular or something)

jimi
06-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Definitely use both, but my view is humourously advocated in a short film at www.houseofdrumming.com
man that video had me in stitches!!:D check it out!

Lucius
06-12-2004, 04:55 PM
I cant get enough of that film!! It's f****** hilarious!

jimi
06-13-2004, 10:26 AM
I watched it i duno how many times last night and broke my arse laughing everytime!:D

timthedrummer
06-14-2004, 09:40 PM
hahah i like that video alot
and cuz im a recent 'convert' it was much funnier :D

morgenthaler
06-15-2004, 08:32 AM
Yup trad grip has been used in classical music in ages,- long before there was the united states of america. It came from the old old war drums, mainly german british and french I think. I studied the history of drums 10 years ago to some point. The drum is the oldest instrument in the world btw.
In the beginning back in 1100 somthing the drums were hanging at an angle, so it made sense to change the grip for the left hand. Just look at traditonal african and japanese drummers,- their "traditional grip" is MATCHED!
And these guys have been drumming for thousands of years!

I find it interesting that a guy like Virg says that if he was to start drumming today he would focus on matched, NOT traditonal!
The advantages of matched are greater.
But hey even though I am a matched grip player, I seem to really love traditional grip players like Virg, Vinnie, Weckl and many others.

BTW,- I really really laughed over the houseofdrumming "tradgrip vs. matched grip" video!!

Lowlife_Drummer
06-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Ok so if I used both grips its no big deal good cuz traditional feels weird on drum set and match feels weird on snare.

Adam
06-17-2004, 05:41 PM
@ Lowlife_Drummer

Yes, however, keep in mind that you'll have to learn everything twice