PDA

View Full Version : Practice routine...

thelemon32
06-07-2004, 06:02 PM
As I said in an earlier post I'm a new drummer. I was in my school band for 3 consecutive years though and we learned all the rudiments and played snare beats quite frequently. Would anyone here like to list out a good practice routine that I could practice daily and would help me with my drumming. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Kinetic drummer
06-07-2004, 08:58 PM
hi... and welcome to the world of drums.. if you know the rudiments.. now try to orchestate them in other instrments on your kit.
play along with a metronome, use cds, tapes---
learn how to play.. groove, Cuz Thats the main job od a drummer... have a groove and the time. then learn technique.
you should check,... lots of old posts--- youre not the only guy wondering what to do.

Lowlife_Drummer
06-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Im new too and teaching myself slowly I started at the beggining of this year and loved it so I got a drumset for christmas anywho I know MOST of the rudiments what do you mean orchestate them on the other insturments like play the rudiments I know on my others drums? I need a good practice routine or something to get my consistancy down because rimshots and loosing tempo are frequent with maybe its just because im new but its really frustrating have any tips?

Fetch
06-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Hello New Drummers,
One big thing I did when I was goin from corps. to kit was playing with a metronome. Sit with your feet on the kick and hat. keep time with the metronome. once you're comfortable with that, slowly add in the rudiments on the snare. from there go to a tom, so you can play with the tension in the lugs and develop a sense of tuning. it's a step by step process. it was for me, anyway. whoever posted that grooving is important is right. thats the most important thing for sure. your grooves will help you develop fills, then fav fills, etc. For now just try and settle in on the hats/kick and then throw in rudiments. Listen to different drummers and play along. That helps, too.

Fetch

Kinetic drummer
06-08-2004, 10:56 PM
i was refering to drums, cymbals, bass drum, jam blocks.. cow bells, tambourines as INSTRUMENTS. CUZ thats what they are right?
orchestate means to trow the rudiments .. but not just in the snare..i mean you can make beats!

orquestating a paradidlle with bass..
B L BB L B LL... thats a paradiddle sticking..and you lead with quarter notes in the hi hat.

a paradiddle diddle...play the first note on a tom. and then... the restin the snare.

what i used to do is.. change stickings. for example:

When you do a 5 stroke roll wich is RR LL B. i change it just for a pattern like this r l r l r. the thing with this...is to orchestate AGAIN. as you can see. the 5 stroke roll is like 8th notes.

R (on a tom) L R L R(on a tom) And so on...
1 &
You will see an obvious 8th note feel.

thats and orchestation. but i change sticking.
i also add bass drum to it. i put it between the 8th notes. to now make... a single stroke roll doing 16th notes orchestating again between bass drum an a tom.

well thats orchestation!... i think...

but.. if you know the rudiments you have advantage.-..
as i said before. develop a groove and a sense of playing... then seek technique.
play along records. thats all. the best teacher are cds. once you can handle that.,,, THE NEXT STEP.
hope this h elps rather than mislead the new drummers....
by the way you chose the best msgboard on the world.

Kinetic drummer
06-08-2004, 10:59 PM
sorry it was like this

R (on a tom) L R L R(on a tom) R (on a tom) L R L R(on a tom)
1 & 2 &

and so on...
thats just one lil tiny orchestation i use for fills.
peter ...if you see this.. how do you think of this? is it good? like it? did i explained myself well? hehehe

have a nice day kids

cyeazel
06-16-2004, 04:26 AM
Another great thing to do is to start playing along to some of your favorite records. Very helpful.

Lowlife_Drummer
06-16-2004, 09:02 AM
lol I tryed playing along with my favorate records um...maybe im just new or maybe there just to hard but can anyone reccomend some basic hard rock/heavy metal that have somewhat simple drum beats the stuff ive been trying is not to good for a begginner.