PDA

View Full Version : bass drum : loose or tight?

Lad.
06-02-2004, 12:21 PM
The question I'm asking is, will a bass head that is tighter have better or worse control? Same with loose. Is it better with control or worse with control?

The thing that drives me to ask this is an event from earlier today.

I was playing earlier today, and I was in the process of doing faster single strokes with my feet. I noticed my control was unusually good. Just after that, THUMP. The beater went right through the head. It was about due, and it took its last thump. Was my control good because of it loosening?

Just wanna know what you guys think.

peter
06-02-2004, 01:17 PM
The looser, the deader and better sounding,
better responding for singles (especially for
the bury-beaters).

The looser, the worse the response for the
faster double-strokers. This is something that
you have to weigh and find a medium for.

Drudence
06-02-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm thinking you mean the tighter for the second part? :)

Kinetic drummer
06-02-2004, 06:22 PM
A BIG STORY......

i noticed that in drums such as the pearl forum series, yamaha rydeen and lower series from any brand.. sound better with the head very loose. ithink its a dry , dead sound. i like it very much.
i have another set with a tight head. but i feel very uncomfortable. im having a bad feel and having a bad time dealing with the bounces...and.. i rather prefer loose with singles and double hits. i think my post wont help.. but is just a comment...

Lad.
06-02-2004, 09:51 PM
Well hearing multiple opinions about their playing experience with a loose or tight head greatly helps. I notice that with my bass head really tight, it's hard to get double hit with my left foot. What happens is that when I go to do that second hit, my beater isn't in good position to be flung forward again, and either doesn't hit at all or barely touches the head.

Lad.
06-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Viola! That was it. Loose bass head = better control. I compare my beater rebounds opposed to before. They're a lot slower, and they give me time to get another hit in before they totally take control of my stroke.

shaftninja
06-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Mine's medium-tight (just above 'wrinkle'). Singles feel good, and I can hit 220BPM inverted strokes on a good nite. Oh, and it doesn't sound like a jazz kick, heh.

Milo Porto
06-03-2004, 10:51 PM
guys guys....on word....*SUBJECTIVE* =-) everyone..has their idea and comfort zone.....! =-)

peter
06-04-2004, 03:18 AM
Just to be clear about what I said earlier:

"The looser, the deader and better sounding,
better responding for singles (especially for
the bury-beaters)."

Single strokes are a lot easier, on the kicks,
when the heads are looser. There's less re-
bound to control, which can be hard.

"The looser, the worse the response for the
faster double-strokers. This is something that
you have to weigh and find a medium for."

This is the 'however' statement. For your
double-strokes, depending on just how fast
you are going, the looser head may work
against you. The same principle applies to
your hands. Consider. The tighter the head,
the better the response. Here, it really de-
pends on the kind of stroke you have dev-
eloped for your right and left-kicks.

You want to get your kicks up to the same
level of control, leading with the left kick,
as much as your right. Work these. Don't
let your left-foot fall behind.

You have to find that tension that gives
you the best of both worlds. :D

Lad.
06-04-2004, 07:57 AM
Good words, Peter. The fact that you realize the importance of rebound will help me in my response. I think that with a tighter head, I'm getting too much rebound. Since I have my tension set up high ( it's the only way I can play ), I get more rebound than I should be getting. With a loose head and high tension on the pedal, the rebound should be just right for what it is I wanna do.
Do I make sense?

peter
06-04-2004, 12:51 PM
The important thing is to try it out and see if our
ideas come out right in the physical world. Balance
is the key to everything and not just the drums.

Good luck! :D

Lad.
06-04-2004, 03:07 PM
true.
I pretty much proved what I meant though.
If you've ever watched virgil's solo from "Live from the Astoria London", he does some bass work that sounds like he's throwing double strokes into a single stroke on his double bass. It's toward the end of the solo. Well, anyway, I'm now able to do that.

peter
06-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Excellent, Lad!!