PDA

View Full Version : Double bass - Strength and Control

Lad.
05-22-2004, 04:58 PM
I've found out lately that besides playing double bass in order to gain these things, something else will also help. You MUST build strength. With excercise comes strength, and with strength comes control. Just look at Virgil for example. I bet if he kicked an elephant in its side it would die.
There are many things you can do to work the muscles that help you.

Simple playing will help your ankles get used to control.
As for the strength in your legs part ( which may or may not help, depending on how you play ), finding a nice steep hill and walking up and down it several times, or some stairs could work too...will help you. I'm realizing this slowly, and it's helping me.
I just thought I would share that with you. If anyone wants to contradict what I say, go ahead, but I'll see you guys later.

Christ Magnum
05-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Contradict I will not.... Strength in the legs is VERY important for double kick playing. Not only for endurance, but a good solid kick is going to sound alot cleaner than a little love tap on that batter head ;) However, like you said, you have to emphasize finesse with your ankles in order to keep it controlled and to do more complex patterns (i.e. rudiments)

peter
05-23-2004, 01:34 PM
We have talked about this before and of course, it's
important. That's why you should do what Virgil does
and lead with both feet.