PDA

View Full Version : Ground Zero

Xen-
05-01-2004, 07:50 AM
I'm having a hard time understanding what Virgil is playing on this track. I believe it is the LRLRR ostinato with the feet, but what's up with the hands?

alencore
05-01-2004, 08:19 AM
lol, i'll check it out....promise...well...this planet x album i got (universe) man i'm still a little shaken.

jemmy
05-01-2004, 01:02 PM
It's a pretty difficult track, especially for drums...

Note that there are 2 ostinato's going on: a 5/16th ostinato involving a cowbell and a 7/16th ostinato which follows the bass line with hi-hats (but not a multiple of 5 cycles, I believe). Oh, and the snare hits seem to fall outside of those 2 ostinato's...

Anyway, I haven't transcribed this track at all, so this is all I know for sure.

Matus
05-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Holy Microsoft bug Batman! I have just written the whole analysis for the first section and my browser decided to crash.
Anyway, I'm new here folks! I decided to register and came across this one so I thought I'd try to shed some light on the metric issue. I'll type that again, at least I know this part by memory...
The song starts with a drum intro in 5/16 (which lasts 12 bars). It's a 5/16 ostinato between the left hand and foot (10" snare and hihat respectively) while the other two limbs solo over it. Then the main piano riff in 5/16 comes in, followed by the right hand and foot (cowbell and bass drum) with the same pattern as the left side did for the intro (with hands it would be RLRLL).
The bass / lower lines are in 7/16 and they kick in after eight 5/16 bars. This is where the fun begins. The left foot (hihat) follows the bass line in 7/16 while the right side keeps going in 5/16. The snare is also in 5/16, accenting on the '1' every two bars. This goes for twelve bars, then the snare hihat break into a single paradiddle pattern for six bars. This creates an odd grouping so the last paradiddle isn't complete and goes like RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL RLRR LR and lands with the hihat on the '1' (imagine the R is the hihat and the L is the snare here).
The melody section has the same metric pattern for the whole thing with a little difference. The paradiddle starts after fourteen 5/16 bars and lasts four measures. The left side then goes like RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL RLRR (R=hihat L=snare) and the snare lands on the '1' of the melody repetition. Same thing happens in such repetition, only that the last 4 beats of the paradiddle thing sound like straight alternating singles, but it's not that clear so that's only an assumption, maybe he just stopped there and accented the last 16th but it sounds like the intention is straight alternating singles to land on the next section with the right hand on the hihat for a more common groove.

Makes sense? The paradiddle thing in 4 against 5 is very easy to notice because the bass in 7/16 stops at that point and plays again when the phrase is repeated and the 4 against 5 stops, resuming the 7/16 with the hihat and 5/16 accenting with the snare.
I had the whole song analyzed but I don't have that specific notebook here, a friend of mine borrowed it... I can do some specific part if anyone is interested, tho.

jimi
05-06-2004, 03:28 AM
Great to see some hands on analysis Matus, good work!:)

Matus
05-06-2004, 07:13 AM
Anytime! :) This song is specially deceiving because the bass really leads you away from the actual structure, which is in 5/16.
To be honest, at first I always skipped this song when listening to Moonbabies because it was too "WTF" for me :D But it's like everything with prog fusion, once you get the hang of it you are amazed at how ass kicking it is.

jimi
05-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Appreciation of a piece if a big thing for me, the outlook i have really changes when i check a piece out on that level. That is why i see alot of "it's crap" on other boards where people don't really know what the piece is about :(

ZackMayo
09-13-2004, 04:38 AM
I feel that I am somewhat above average in drumming but this piece makes me feel retarded. Is there any known transcription available for this piece in order to visualize its complexity. Or has any other drummer here duplicated the entry rythm that can recommend the best way to tackle it.

Thanks,

Zack Mayo

shaftninja
09-14-2004, 05:37 PM
I'd start off shedding rudiments with one hand, and one foot against a different rudiment with the remaining two limbs before tackling this shit, buddy. As for the transcription, I'm not going to step up to the plate because I don't have that kind of time to spare at the moment.

Good luck.